In the year 1952, the Frankford Full Gospel Tabernacle, with their minister Rev. Gordon Pierce, decided to hold Pentecostal meetings in Stirling. Premises were rented at 28 West Front Street where a Sunday School was commenced.
In 1953, Abe Hodgen and David Mikelson, recent graduates from Eastern Pentecostal Bible College in Peterborough, came to pastor the young church. In 1958, Rev. Robert Donnan became the full time pastor. In 1961, land was purchased with a view to building the church. In 1962, a special sod turning ceremony was conducted in preparation for building. Present for the sod turning were Rev. Hope Smith from Calvary Temple in Belleville, Rev. Ron Reid from Bethel Temple in Trenton, Rev. Fred Spring from the Full Gospel Tabernacle in Frankford, and Rev. Bob Donnan, the local pastor (see picture above).
In September of 1962 the new church was dedicated at a cost of $10,000 plus many long hours of volunteer labour. As the congregation grew, it was decided to build a parsonage, which was completed in 1974, at a cost of approximately $26,000.
Rev. Ron Reid came to Stirling in the summer of 1979. During those years, he was a regular columnist for the Stirling News Argus, a well versed man, and a much appreciated pastor in the village. He gave his farewell sermon on the last Sunday in February of 1983, wherein the congregation welcomed their new pastor, Rick Lott. Rev. Lott, a native of Belleville and a graduate of Eastern Pentecostal Bible College, pastored in Stirling for ten years of fruitful ministry and was followed by Rev. Robert Seaboyer.
To be continued…
The Heritage Years: A History of Stirling and District (1983)